Many people turn to past life regression to learn more about themselves. Discovering past lives may help you uncover the source of unusual attachments, phobias, or personality traits. Several techniques exist to help you recall past lives.
What You Can Discover in Regression
Past life regressions provide the opportunity to discover who you may have been in a previous incarnation. People using the technique believe that learning about your past lives may help reveal information that allows you to heal issues or discover new purpose in your current life. During the process you may:
- Discover the source of fears and phobias
- Discover the source of physical ailments
- Learn about your karmic path with people who have been with you through multiple lifetimes
- Find the source of attachments to people, places, or objects
- Learn more about your soul's path
Is it Real?
Many people wonder if what you discover in your regression is true information. While there is no definitive proof that what you experience during a regression is factual, there have been many cases where people have been able to verify facts discovered during a session.
Past Life Regression Techniques
A wide array of techniques exist to help you recall past lives, ranging from dreams and spontaneous recall to hypnosis.
Past life hypnotherapy seeks to bring into consciousness hidden or repressed memories that have been carried forward from a previous lifetime or incarnation.
During a session, a trained facilitator uses guided imagery or hypnosis to regress the client to a point in the past. This point may be a previous life or a specific time during the client's childhood. Once these memories become part of conscious memory, the client is often able to work through many conflicts, release possible spiritual blockages and examine any lessons learned from a spiritual perspective.
The fee for such services typically ranges from $50 to $250 or higher, depending on the facilitator, time spent, and hypnotic techniques used. When seeking regression hypnotherapy, it is crucial to work only with an experienced professional who can regress you safely and assist you with any spiritual or psychological issues resulting from the session. You may find the following types of professionals who can help you:
- Psychotherapists: Many psychotherapists receive training in hypnosis and past life regression and some offer initial sessions at no cost. If money is an issue, you may be able to find a local teaching hospital to see which services are available for no or low cost.
- Hypnotherapists: Not all hypnotherapists are experienced at past life regression hypnotherapy. Seek one who is. You may be able to locate an experienced professional in your area on the International Association of Regression and Research Therapies website. If cost is a factor, you may be able to find low or no charge services by volunteering to be hypnotized in a class or workshop.
- Online services: While many websites offer free regression sessions most of these sites are run by people without adequate training, and some sites are purely fraudulent. Use caution when using an online service, even if it is recommended by a trusted friend.
- Regression circles: Many larger cities have regression circles. These are similar to support groups. They are typically overseen by a trained professional, but the circle members perform the sessions on other members. To locate a circle in your area, try calling local hypnotherapists for information and referrals.
You may also be able to recall past lives with self-hypnosis. You can use a self-hypnosis recording or try the following.
- Find a quiet, dark place to recline such as in a chair or on a couch. Make sure you are comfortable, clear minded and focused. If you are sleepy, you may actually fall asleep; while you may indeed regress to past lives in a dream state, you most likely will not accomplish very much besides getting some rest!
- Close your eyes and spend a few seconds relaxing. Clear all distractions from your mind such as the feelings in your limbs. Forget about the day's worries or what you need to do tomorrow. The goal is to clear your mind of all random thoughts.
- Next, bring your breathing to an even flow, breathing deep into your abdomen. This will relax you further and put you in a meditative state. Once you achieve complete relaxation, it may feel like you are in a mild trance. This is natural once your brain waves reach an alpha state. Finally, if you're very successful in your relaxation, your brain will reach a theta state. It is here that your mind is most open to past life memories, as well as other kinds of psychic thoughts. You might consider doing a white light protection meditation before you attempt to go into a meditative trance, so that you will be protected against any negative energy that is nearby.
- Once you've succeeded in achieving your relaxed trance, let your mind wander. Be sure not to dismiss any thoughts you have as nonsense while you are in this state. Once you are finished, record the thoughts you had while you were under.
If you prefer to try a self-hypnosis recording, try one of these options:
- Daily Motion has a free audio/video presentation specifically for past life regression.
- Deep Trance Now offers a number of downloadable recordings at various price points.
You may also recall past lives via dreams or spontaneous memory. To help you sort out these experiences:
- Keep a dream journal and watch for recurring themes, places, people, or events
- Pay attention to thoughts that flit through your mind that may not make sense in the context of your current life. Journal these thoughts to look for patterns.
- Talk with a psychic or medium to gain possible insight into past lives.
Tips for Self Regression
While there are many ways that you can recall past life memories, It is important to keep the following in mind.
- Relax. In order to let your mind wander deeper into the past, your body must be as relaxed as possible so that you are not physically or mentally distracted by your present carnation.
- Don't overanalyze or stress about what you might possibly experience. Over analysis prevents you from relaxing completely.
- Set aside judgment. Act as an observer during your regression and save judgment for your research afterward.
- Don't be afraid of what you'll discover. Many people fear they will find out they did something terrible in a past life. Everyone makes mistakes, including the previous incarnations of you. While you can't change what you did in a past life, you have total control over what you do in this one.
- Open your mind to the possibility that what you are seeing might actually be true. If you begin seeing flashes of memory but automatically dismiss them, what's the point? In order to make any progress in past life regression, you need to be open to what you see and prepared to take it seriously.
What to Do with the Information
It's easy to get caught up in interest and excitement about a past life and ignore the life you are living right now. This life is the one that's most truly important. Take what you learn from past lives and use it to heal issues in your life today. In doing so, you can move forward with a focus on making your present life and circumstances the best they can be.