Psychic marks are common birthmarks and moles. Where they are located, their color, and their shape may be what makes them psychic. Their significance is not just a new age phenomenon, however. Psychic beliefs about birthmarks cross cultures and generations. For example, pretenders to the Russian throne used birthmarks or "royal marks" to bolster their claim they had royal blood.
The birthmarks can have many causes. Past life trauma, special abilities, and being possessed are just a few.
Dr. Ian Stevenson pioneered work with children that remembered their past lives. He discovered many of them had markings or birthmarks that corresponded to their cause of death in a previous life.
There are a number of places to find out more about past life birthmark research.
- The Institute for the Integration of Science, Intuition and Spirit (IISIS) - A reincarnation website run by past life researcher, Dr. Walter Simkew that examines many cases of reincarnation
- Journal of the Society for Psychical Research - The scientific journal for one of England's most respected parapsychological associations
- Carol Bowman's website - Carol is a leading researcher on children's past lives
Indigo, Crystal, and Rainbow Children and Starseeds
Many people believe children being born since the 1980s have special traits that make them the next level of human evolution. These children are known as indigo, crystal, or rainbow children. Other children, known as starseeds, are believed to have had incarnations on other planets. These people may have special abilities, such as psychic vision and healing powers.
For more information about these children, consider the following resources:
- Gaia is site dedicated to yoga, transformation, and seeking truth.
- The Children of Now by Meg Blackburn Losey, PhD is a book that examines the phenomena of "transitional children," such as indigo, rainbow, and crystal children and starseeds.
Many people believe birthmarks are omens that portend of the future. This is a belief that crosses many cultures. According to popular belief, the size, shape, and location of a birthmark may provide insight into one's life path, luck, finances, and relationships.
Some cultures have beliefs about birthmarks that may have a psychic origin.
- In Japan women were advised to not stare at fire or their child would be burned, resulting in a birthmark.
- Some cultures believe that if one has a birthmark, it foretells that he or she will die young or suddenly.
- Some Europeans believe touching people who have birthmarks will bring them good luck.
- In the Chinese culture, people believe birthmarks predict what type of future the person will have based on size, shape, and location.
- In one recent case in India, a woman was stigmatized for a birthmark because people believed it proved she was possessed.
People didn't always believe birthmarks were positive. Many considered them devil's marks and during the Salem witch trials, they were considered proof one was a witch.
Maculomancy and Moleomancy
Moleomancy, the art of divination by moles is a form of maculomancy, which is the art of divination using birthmarks. Like other birthmarks, moles determine the life path, luck, finances, and relationships of the person. A hidden mole is the luckiest kind while the mixed color moles may be less fortuitous.
These birthmarks and moles may have different meanings for different locations.
- Forehead - A birthmark on the forehead has different meanings dependent on its location. The right side means great intelligence, and they will succeed in their education and career. The left side means the person will be extravagant and irresponsible. In the center of the forehead, a birthmark means the person will have many relationships.
- Neck - A birthmark on the neck means success in life with a great deal of responsibility.
- Buttocks - These birthmarks mean different things for men and women and point to the lifestyle and love life of the person.
- Back - A birthmark on your back means you are open to new ideas.
- Leg - A birthmark on the leg means a lack of independence. However, according to Reference.com, the Chinese believe a birthmark on the inner thigh indicates a predisposition to wealth.
The birthmarks and moles can come in any shape, from animal totems to symbols of love.
- Hearts - These are the most loved birthmark. They are a symbol of universal love.
- Animal totems - These are animal shaped marks, and their meaning depends on the animal. Animal Speak by Ted Andrews is an excellent reference.
- Sacred geometry patterns - Crystalinks defines sacred geometry as "sacred universal patterns used in the design of everything in our reality." When a sacred geometric pattern appears as a birthmark, the child is believed to be from angelic realms.
For more information about moleomancy and maculomancy, consider the following resources:
- Moles and What They Say About You explores the size, shape, and location of moles and their meanings.
- Psychic Sciences explores moles in the article Moleosophy.
- Astrology Circle.com helps you determine what your moles might mean astrologically by shape and location.
- Astrology Ace offers interpretation of moles by location.
Fact or Fiction
Many people have birthmarks, and some have multiple moles and birthmarks. It's up to you to determine whether they have a psychic meaning, but it's certainly fascinating to consider.