Developing ESP is a process that takes time and persistence to achieve. You must practice this special talent just as you would any other if you want to increase your abilities.
What is ESP?
ESP, or "extrasensory perception", refers to the ability to sense things about the environment without relying on the five basic senses that all humans share:
Forms of ESP
ESP doesn't refer to just one type of ability, and it's possible to have a talent in more than one area:
- Precognition: The ability to foretell the future
- Clairvoyance: The ability to form impressions about objects or events as a mental picture or a certain type of feeling
- Clairaudience: The ability to hear sounds, voices, etc. that fall outside of the range of normal human perception
- Clairsentience: The ability to pick up on other people's feelings
- Psychokinesis: The ability to move objects solely through the power of one's mind
- Psychometry: A talent for getting impressions through handling or touching a physical object
- Remote Viewing: The ability to "see" an object at a distance
- Telepathy: The ability to communicate thoughts or feelings without using spoken language
Suggestions for Developing ESP
You may have taken a quiz or an online test to find out whether you are psychic. Many people feel that everyone possesses some abilities in this area, while others think that it's the luck of the draw. Some people believe that ESP is an inherited gift, and that developing ESP is not something that a person can do unless they have some basic ability of this nature to work with. Either way, if you are curious about developing ESP, you need to take some basic steps to become open to these kinds of impressions.
Learn How to Meditate
When we meditate, we need to relax and clear our minds of distractions. We are so used to having at least some level of noise in our everyday environment that it may be a bit uncomfortable at first to stop and focus only on something as basic as our own breathing.
Learn How to Listen
We hear things all day long, but we don't always listen very well. Have you ever received an impression about someone or picked up on something without knowing exactly how it happened? If you want to develop your abilities, you need to learn how to take the impressions in without editing or censoring them first.
The impressions you receive may not make sense to you at first, but that doesn't mean they are wrong. It just means that you don't know how to interpret them yet. The human mind really likes things to fit into neat little compartments, and ESP doesn't really fit the bill. So, you will need to suspend the part of your mind that tells you ESP can't be real if you hope to develop your powers of extra perception.
Practice, Practice, Practice
Developing ESP, whether it is an art or a skill, requires practice to become better at taking in the impressions you are receiving and interpreting them in a way that makes sense to you.
You must also practice patience with yourself. Even if you work very hard, you will not necessarily enjoy 100 percent accurate results every time. Try not to become frustrated with the process or you won't achieve the calm, relaxed state of mind that you need to develop ESP.
The following books may help guide your quest for greater powers of perception: