Developing your psychic and ESP abilities takes time and persistence. With a few tips and specific advice, you can learn how to practice this special psychic talent just as you would any other ability.
Tips to Develop Your ESP (Extrasensory Perception)
ESP, or extrasensory perception, refers to the ability to sense things about the environment without relying on the five basic senses that all humans share. It is a blanket term covering the different types of extrasensory data you receive, also known as the "clairs": clairempathy, clairvoyance, claircognizance, clairgustance, clairolfaction, clairsentience, and clairaudience. You can engage in many practices to develop these ESP skills.
Notice Flashes in Your Mind
Many people believe they don't have any extrasensory abilities because they don't recognize psychic data when they receive it. Therefore, it's important to recognize flashes of insight that may be your ESP trying to get your attention. This information often flashes through your mind quickly as words or phrases, random sounds or music, thoughts, images, emotions, physical sensations, aromas, tastes, or bits of knowledge. If you ignore these flashes when they occur or write them off as imagination, it serves to suppress the information further. Thus, your first step is to pay attention when you have quick flashes of insight.
- Information may appear as an image in your mind's eye, a word or phrase you hear in your mind, a snippet of music or another sound, sudden knowing of information, an emotion that doesn't feel like yours, an aroma or taste that doesn't fit current circumstances, or a physical sensation unrelated to your current situation.
- Keep a notepad and pen with you. When you experience one of these, write it in your notebook as soon as you notice it.
- Don't try to interpret these in the beginning. Just record and acknowledge them and go on with what you're doing.
Meditate to Focus Your Mind
Once you begin to notice things that flash through your mind throughout the day, you can begin to focus deliberately. Meditation is one of the best practices to help you learn to focus, and it doesn't need to be difficult. Meditate for 5 to 10 minutes each day to quiet and focus your mind.
- Sit quietly somewhere you won't be disturbed.
- Breathe deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth, inserting a pause between each inhale and exhale.
- Focus on your breathing. If a thought drifts into your mind, acknowledge it, release it, and return your focus to your breath.
- Every time your mind wanders, gently return your focus to your breath.
Tune in Deliberately
After meditation when you are in a relaxed and focused state, begin trying to tune in deliberately to psychic information. A simple way to do this is with a deck of playing cards.
- Shuffle the deck.
- Put the deck in front of you in a face down pile.
- Place your hand on the top card and close your eyes. Determine whether the card is black or red by paying attention to any signals you receive. It may flash quickly. Don't second guess yourself.
- Once you've decided, turn the card over. If you're correct, put it in one pile. If you're incorrect, put it in another.
- If you are operating at the level of chance (50 percent right, 50 percent wrong), your right and wrong piles will be about the same. If you are operating below chance, your incorrect pile will be larger than your correct pile. If you are working at a rate greater than chance, your correct pile will be larger than incorrect. As time passes, you will begin to have more in your correct pile.
- Do this exercise daily, once through the deck, with red and black.
- Once you consistently operate at a rate greater than chance for a week or longer, you can begin to perceive suits, instead, using the same method and intuiting the suit instead of the color.
Channel Your Psychic Abilities
From playing cards, move on to other psychic channeling activities.
- Ask a friend to hand you an object without providing any information about it. Hold the object and notice what comes to mind. Relay the information to your friend and ask him or her to confirm impressions you receive, such as appearance of the person whose object it is, use of the object, where the object comes from, or its significance or history. Don't try to interpret your impressions. Share them exactly as you receive them.
- Ask someone to show you a photograph of someone they know who you don't know. Offer your impressions about the person in the photograph.
- Using cards from a game of concentration or another matching game, sit facing a partner. Have your partner look at the image on the card and focus on what they are seeing. Share any impressions you receive, such as colors, shapes, numbers, or objects.
Tips for Developing ESP
As you work with your abilities, consider the following tips:
- Don't force it. If your mind is tired or you feel frustrated, step away and return when you are a calm and relaxed state.
- In the earliest stages, it helps to be in a positive frame of mind when you practice. If you've had a bad day, wait until you're feeling better to try.
- Try to work in 5 to 10 minutes every day to practice.
- Certain crystals, especially those associated with the third eye chakra such as amethyst or quartz, can help boost ESP, so keep some nearby as you practice.
- One of the most important things in developing ESP is also one of the most difficult: learning to set aside your ego. It's important you try to let go of the need to be right or wrong, because worry about this can block or cloud abilities. Instead, breathe deeply and release worry about whether what you notice is correct.
- Resist the urge to interpret what you see. Instead, share the impression exactly as you receive it.
Growing Your ESP Abilities
It is likely everyone has some intuitive abilities. However, many people have suppressed these talents due to societal conditioning or personal belief systems. Therefore, one of the most important things you can do to grow your abilities is to trust they exist and work with them. Likewise, not everyone's talents manifest in the same manner, so you need to understand how you receive information and work with that as you move forward confident in your ability to receive extrasensory impressions.