If you make your own Ouija boards, it may be possible to experience communication with the spirit world like people did centuries ago. You can also add your own unique twist or personal touch to the Ouija board experience.
Why Make Your Own Ouija Boards?
Many people think that the design of the Ouija board itself is what makes it work. In fact, most Ouija board experts recognize that this isn't the case at all. It seems that most of the energies or power of the board come from people, so the design itself has very little impact on whether or not the board will work. However, there are a few basic guidelines to follow if you want to make your own Ouija boards. These guidelines will insure that your board works properly. Beyond the basic design, you are free to add additional images or features as you see fit.
Basic Requirements to Make a Ouija Board
There are a few basic design features that you'll need to include in your Ouija board design in order for it to work properly.
- Letters and numbers: In 1891, Charles Kennard developed one of the first major versions of the Ouija board in the United States. The board was extremely simple with letters in the middle, numbers underneath, the words "yes" and "no" lettered along the top and "GOODBYE" at the bottom. It also featured a few very simple designs sparsely decorating each corner of the board. Any basic Ouija board today should, at a minimum, provide all letters of the alphabet, all ten numerals and those three words for basic communication.
- Wood is preferred: While some people create Ouija boards out of various materials, including cardboard, many occultists believe that wood is the best material to use because it retains "Earth energy" that serves to focus spiritual energies and foster more effective supernatural communication.
- Designs: The designs that adorned each corner of the original Ouija board in 1891 are not critical to the functioning of the board. However, many people believe that symbolism is a strong element of the spirit world, and that the moon, crescent and stars are helpful in channeling spiritual communication.
- Smooth finish: Another critical element of a very active Ouija board is that the planchette that rests on top of the board needs to be able to glide effortlessly and smoothly across the surface of the board. This means that after stenciling the designs on the face of the board, you should apply a good clear coat finish, or even a thin glass sheet, over the face of the board.
Adding Your Own Unique Touch
In addition to designing your Ouija board using those basic features, you can also add additional touches that won't impact the functioning of the board. A few ideas are provided here.
- Pictures and designs: Ouija boards throughout the decades were produced with a wide variety of patterns and even images on the face. Today, people are used to the standard and well-known Parker Brother's Ouija board design. However, a few other designs throughout the years included Magic Marvel from the 1940's, Rajah featuring elephants and snake charmers, and even the Mystic Board from the 1940's featuring interesting Egyptian designs. You can apply your own designs, such as your zodiac signs or anything else that's meaningful to you, and the board will still work just as well.
- Use old wood: Another theory is that because wood provides the board with "Earth energy" in order to channel spiritual communications, boards built from the wood of very old trees tend to hold more residual energies and wisdom that many believe help generate a much more active Oujia board than would otherwise be possible.
- Try different words: Another interesting tactic many contemporary board designers use is to customize a board based on the spirit they are communicating with. For example, if the spirit of a little girl mentions a "toy" often, some board designers may customize a board with the word "toy" on it. You can include as many words as you can fit; just make sure to leave enough room for the planchette to easily glide over it so that the word will display in the indicator window.
- The planchette: The device that people place their fingertips on that glides across the face of the board is a little more difficult to design. You could create your own using a small regular shaped or pointed piece of wood. Cut a hole in the center for viewing, attach four small legs and place felt pads on the feet to avoid scratching the board. Use the lightest wood you can find for best results. Another option is to use the planchette out of an old store bought Ouija board. Some people even use an overturned shot glass in place of a planchette.
Regardless which design you choose for your customized Ouija board, just be sure that before you use the board that you understand how it works and what's involved with communicating with the spirit world. There's a great deal of debate surrounding the safety of such communication, so it's always better to educate yourself first. Creating a Ouija board design that reflects your own interest and tastes can add an additional sense of energy and a personal touch into the process of communicating with the spirit world.