Top Scariest Places to Visit
The top scary places around the world to visit aren't for the faint of heart. These are some of the spookiest and best haunted places known for ghosts and other paranormal encounters.
Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has been the subject of numerous paranormal investigations. During its heyday, the prison was a site of solitary confinement, torture and despair - all in the name of rehabilitation. The cruel and unusual treatment of the inmates purportedly led many to go insane. If deep emotions can scar a physical place and leave echoes of the past, the disembodied whispering, crying and shadowy figures of Eastern State are just a few samples of this ominous building's paranormal activity.
The Tower of London
The site of numerous executions, the Tower of London is one of the most haunted places in the world. Reported ghostly sightings include:
- The ghost of Queen Anne Boleyn, beheaded wife of King Henry VIII
- The childish spirits of Princes Edward V and Richard, Duke of York
- The elderly Countess of Salisbury who was hacked to death by her executioner
Gettysburgh, Pennsylvania may just be the most haunted location in the entire USA. The site of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War, around 50,000 men died over the course of three days. The battlefield and several adjacent buildings used as makeshift hospitals for the wounded are said to be the home of many earthbound spirits, including sightings of Robert E. Lee.
Few places on the planet have the atmosphere of Pere LaChaise Cemetery in Paris, France. The ancient tombs, statuaries and stillness add to that peculiar feeling that you are being watched by unseen eyes as you journey through this magnificent city of the dead.
Just mention Transylvania, and many people feel a chill run up their spine. Bran Castle, situated on the border of Transylvania, is better known to the tourists who flock there as Dracula's Castle. There are no historical records supporting that Vlad the Impaler was the ruler of this castle, although he was imprisoned there for several months. Still, the imagination is a powerful thing and to many, Bran Castle will always be the frightening fortress of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
The Queen Mary
The Queen Mary has been widely reported as being haunted. Used as a military transport vessel during WWII, the ship has seen its share of tragedies, many of which are said to have left a permanent ghostly impression.
Paranormal activities include:
- Sightings of a young man who was crushed by Door number 13 in the engine room
- Sounds of splashing coming from the no longer used swimming pool, plus sightings of wet footprints
- The dancing Lady in White spotted in the first class lounge
To step inside the delapidated Mansfield Reformatory in Ohio is to experience true fear. The areas where the most haunting activity has reportedly occurred include:
- The Infirmary - Site of many horrible deaths
- The Chapel - A site reportedly used for torture before being adapted as the chapel
- The Hole - A place of punishment and incredible sufferring
Edinburgh Castle has the reputation of being the most haunted castle in Europe. Paranormal encounters at this location include:
- Sightings of Greyfriar's Bobby, a former canine resident
- A mysterious man in a leather apron
- The strains of a bagpipe that was played by a lost piper at the time of his disappearance in the tunnels below the castle
- The headless drummer
- A feeling of being watched by unseen entities
If disturbing the dead is taboo, the Paris Catacombs should be haunted by thousands of spirits. This underground burial chamber houses millions of bones removed from overloaded cemeteries. The bones are arranged in macabre designs to simulate walls, crosses and more.
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
This overcrowded, magnificent tribute to the dead looks like something straight out of a Hollywood horror film. It's said voodoo queen, Marie LaVeau still grants wishes from the depths of her tomb. The atmosphere is one of decay, and it's definitely a scary place to visit so don't go there alone, especially after dusk.
Would you like to hear about more scary places? Visit Real Haunted Places in America.