Candle burning spells are used for a variety of reasons, from trying to draw luck or love to warding away negative energy. Candle burning has been used for centuries by Catholics, Kabbalists, spiritualists, and practitioners of hoodoo, voodoo and the occult. You can learn how the color and shape of candles play a role in certain spells by boosting the energies you infuse into the spell.
Using Candles in Basic Rituals
A candle used in rituals and spells serves to provide a focal point for the energies required to cast a spell. The first energy put into rituals comes from individuals. You can quickly recognize the power of a burning candle when you use it as a tool to focus your energy when casting a spell.
- A burning candle can assist your spellwork by providing you with a focal point for your energies.
- In spellwork, candles also serve as carriers of magical properties through the burning of herbs.
- When casting a spell, it helps to focus your attention on the flame.
Why You Focus on the Candle Flame
Many of the spells and other types of ritual candle work require stating your intention or purpose. This practice is reinforced by focusing your energy on the candle flame. This intense focusing allows your energy to accumulate and build up.
How to Cast Energy Into Candles
By focusing on the candle, you can imbue your energy into your spell. The power generated by the candle combines with the energy of your intention(s). Any ritual herbs you add through the use of essential oils or dried herbs combine to boost your spell ritual into the supernatural realms. Once received in that realm, these combined energies work to manifest your spell into the physical world.
Candle Color Meanings
Candle colors have specific meanings and purposes in spellwork. You need to select the appropriate candle color for your spell. You should consider your desire for casting a spell as well as your desired outcome. The color of the candle you select needs to be in alignment with your spell for that added power boost. For example:
- White - Purity and spiritual healing
- Blue - Good intentions, harmony, joy
- Green - Money, bountiful crops and a good job
- Red - Health, passion and love
- Yellow - Prayer, attraction and friendship
- Pink - Attraction and romance
- Purple - Power and ambition
- Orange - Foreseeing the future, changing plans
Candle Shapes and Ritual Uses
In certain rituals and spellwork, different candles shapes are used. These shapes can be human forms, such as an individual or couples, animal, skulls, and other forms. Many of these shaped candles are used in religious practices, such as Voodoo, Hoodoo, rootwork, Obeah and folk magic. Most of the ritual work is performed for spiritual or healing purposes. These can include breaking curses and spells, or removing hexes placed on you by others.
Candle Colors and Shapes in Rituals and Spellwork
Candles made in the image of a figure can be used in place of a plain candle for a spell ritual. The color and shape of these types of candles are made to suit a particular purpose. The following are a few of the many types of candle figures available and their uses:
Color Meanings of Bride and Groom Candles
The bride and groom candles available in gender specifics have specific color meanings, that aren't always in alignment with basic candle colors. The couple stands side-by-side with a wick in each of the figures. Most of these figure candles are used for good spiritual purposes, but the black candle can be used either for good or evil. These purposes include:
- Blue is represents a happy home of spiritual harmony. This candle is often used to reconcile differences, especially if a couple constantly argues.
- White is used fidelity spells, if you're wishing to receive a marriage proposal or you desire to attract a new lover for a potential mate.
- Red is used to generate sexual passion and love.
- Pink represents reconciliation or new beginnings for a reconciled couple.
- Black can be used either to repel evil being focused on a couple or to break up a couple.
Couple With Backs to Each Other
This candle shape features a couple standing back-to-back with a single wick in the middle. This particular candle is black and is used to cause separation. It is also known as the divorce candle.
Cross or Crucifix Candle
The cross or crucifix candle comes in a variety of colors for every purpose and need. For example, white is used for a purity spell while a green cross is used for a money spell.
A red colored devil shaped candle is used for lust spells. The spell makes the object of the spell burn with desire and lust. The green devil is used to collect money owed to you. The black devil shaped candle is used to fend off enemies and unwanted adversaries.
Goat Shaped Candles
The goat shape, often referred to as Baphomet or the Christian devil. It's used for various spells based on color, similarly to the devil candle.
Skull Candles for Spells
Skull candle has obvious connotations with death. The black skull candle is typically used to conjure ancestor help with fulfilling a spell or the help from benevolent spirits. Some rootworkers use skull candles to read minds or get inside a person's head.
Seven Knob Wishing Candle
The seven knob wishing candle may be used for seven different wishes, burned seven days for one wish, or burned once for the power of seven on a single wish. The color of the candle determines what the wish is for. These particular candles may also be dressed and carved with names or symbols before they are burned. The candle can be used in spells for healing (white or green), money (green), love passion (red), or black (protection).
Cat Shaped Candles
The Egyptian Goddess Bast was the official goddess of protection. She was also the protector of cats. This figure is available in the usual colors. It's often referred to as the gambler's candle for good luck. You can use it in spellwork to invoke protection against evil (black), losing money (green), losing sexual love (red), and spiritually/purity (white).
How to Perform Basic Spellwork
You want to have the right setting for the work. Choose a quiet place where you won't be interrupted.
- Gather your supplies.
- Use an altar or table.
- Smudge the space with sage, cedar or sandalwood incense to clear all negative energy.
- Open a protection circle either with salt on the floor or a spiritual bubble of white light.
- Say a prayer before beginning.
- Dress your candle. Use olive oil or other carrier oil. If using essential oils, mix before anointing the candle with the oil.
- Light the candle.
- Meditate on what you want.
- Cast your spell.
- When finished, close the circle.
- Follow the spell instructions about allowing the candle to self-extinguish or if you need to extinguish it.
4 Candle Spell Examples
Spells can be original and written by the person performing the ritual, or they may be found on websites or in books written on the subject. It is not necessary to use another person's spells in order to make them work. The only thing necessary is that the spell states the true intentions or goals. That goal should then be focused upon during the candle burning ritual. The following are a few candle burning spells that can be used and modified as necessary.
To perform this spell, you'll need a blue candle. If you desire, the candle can be in the shape of a person that you seek the truth from, a man or woman.
- Dress the candle by carving the name of the person you are seeking truth from on it and by adding any other words or symbols that have to do with your request.
- Rub the candle with oil that you have purchased or made for the ritual and then light the candle.
- Once the candle is lit, say the following: A spell of truth I cast on you, deceit and all confusion leave. Speak now, (insert name here), and reveal the truth to me. With this light I can see, the truth be revealed, so mote it be.
Love Binding Spell
This spell is used to bind your love interest to you. To perform this spell, you'll need a red candle, preferably in the form of the person you love (a male or female-shaped candle), one long string from your clothing and one from your target's clothing.
- Carve the person's name and any other symbols into the candle. Dress the candle with any ritual oil, either storebought or homemade. Focus on your goal, to bind this person to you in love.
- Take the two strings and tie them together on one end, and then on the other while saying: I bind this knot to bring (insert the target's name here)'s love. I bind this knot to bring (person's name here)'s desire.
- While tying a second knot at each end, say the following: I bind this knot and bring (person's name here)'s faithfulness. I bind this knot to bring (person's name here)'s love to me.
- Tie a third knot on one end of the string while saying: Come to me, so mote it be.
- Light the candle and say: The fire of love does burn in his (or her) heart.
This simple spell is used to bring money to you when you have a debt to pay. You'll need a green beeswax candle and money drawing oil.
- On a piece of paper, write the amount of a bill you owe.
- Anoint the candle with the money drawing oil.
- Place the paper with the amount written on it under the candle.
- Light the candle, take a deep breath, and for the next 15 minutes, visualize writing the check to pay the bill, putting it in an envelope with a bill and then mailing it.
- Snuff the candle with your fingers or use a snuffer. Do not blow the candle out or it will interfere with your spell.
- Repeat the ritual for seven days at the same time each day. On the final day, use the candle flame to burn the paper, and allow the candle to finish burning out on its own.
Good Luck Spell
This spell will help clear the bad luck out of your life and draw good fortune to you. You will need one candle to represent yourself in any color you choose. You'll also need one gray candle, one black candle and one orange candle.
- Before you begin the spell, take a shower to wash away any negativity clinging to you.
- Etch your name into the candle that represents you and light it.
- Light the black candle and visualize all the bad luck that has plagued you. Next, say "Bad luck leave me now."
- Light the gray candle and say "All my bad luck is now dissolved." Visualize all the troubles in your life dissolving into nothing.
- Light the orange candle and say, "Only good luck and positive energy comes to me now." Visualize good fortune being drawn into your.
- Allow the candles to burn down naturally.
Achieve Your Heart's Desire
Spells can be created for just about any situation that arises. Try your hand at candle spells with homemade candles or ones that you have purchased from a local store. By using your own creativity for dressing the candles and writing the spell, you'll create a unique candle burning ritual that will help you achieve your heart's desire.