In the world of Crytozoology, the classification of hominid cryptid draws the most attention by scientists and researchers across the globe. This classification focuses directly on hominids that have either been previously considered extinct or unknown creatures that fall within the Hominidae biological family.
What Is a Hominid?
A hominid is any member of the Hominidae (great apes) biological family, extinct or extant. This includes humans, chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and monkeys. When researchers refer to a hominid as being cryptid, they are talking about a species of hominid that is either unknown or one that is considered extinct.
Famous Hominid Cryptids
All around the world, there are tales of hairy, giant wild men that roam the vast stretches of unpopulated forests. From Northern California to Peru and from Russia to East Asia, hundreds of thousands of reports have been filed concerning encounters with hominid cryptids. The most famous reports include:
- Sasquatch: Otherwise known as Bigfoot, the Sasquatch is a massive, ape-like, bipedal humanoid that is believed to predominantly roam the Pacific Northwest region of North America, although sightings have been reported in virtually every state. The creature is reported to be between six and ten feet tall, weighs over 500 pounds and is covered in a thick, matted layer of dark brown or reddish hair.
- Orang Pendek: This small, bipedal hominid cryptid is believed to inhabit the island of Sumatra (Indonesia). Supposedly seen and documented for over 100 years by the local tribes and countrymen, the Orang Pendek is one of the shortest cryptids since it's said to stand between 30 to 60 inches tall. It is supposedly covered in short hair that ranges from gray to brown. It has very broad shoulders, a huge chest and extremely powerful arms.
- Yeti: Also known as the Abominable Snowman or Meh-Teh, the Yeti is said to inhabit the Himalayan region of Nepal, India and Tibet. Considered by many cryptozooligists to be a direct relative of Sasquatch in the United States, scientist have speculated that the Yeti might be anything from the endangered Himalayan brown bear to a present-day species of the extinct giant ape, Gigantopithecus.
- Yowie: Australia's Bigfoot or Yeti is known as the Yowie. This hominid cryptid is a common staple found in Aboriginal folklore. The Yowie is considered to be about five feet tall and is often referred to as being the original inhabitant of the country.
- Beast of Bray Road: In the late 1980s and early 1990s, there was a plethora of sightings in rural Wisonsin of a large, bear-like or wolf-like creature that was capable of standing and walking on its hind legs. The subject of many articles and books, the Beast of Bray Road is often referred to as being a werewolf. Many witnesses of the beast took lie detector tests that indicated they weren't lying when they described their encounters with these hominid cryptids.
Lesser Known Hominids
Sightings of hominid cryptids are reported all across the globe, and many of these sightings have no scientific explanation. Additional examples of these mysterious creatures include:
- Agogwe (East Africa)
- Amomongo (Philippines)
- Ban-manush (Bangladesh)
- Barmanou (Afghanistan)
- Bukit Timah Monkey Man (Singapore)
- Chuchunya (Russia)
- The Dover Demon (Dover, Massachusetts)
- Fouke Monster (Fouke, Arkansas)
- The Goatman (Maryland)
- Hibagon (Japan)
- Kushtaka (Alaska)
- Maricoxi (South America)
- Nuk-luk (Northwest Territories, Canada)
- Skunk Ape (Florida)
- Yeren (China)
Evidence of Existence
Over the years, everything from photographs and unrecognized footprints to strange hair and scat samples have been found and examined in an effort to prove the existence of these and other hominid species. While many test results came up inconclusive or unanswerable, there has always been enough evidence to make these creatures an on-going quest for many respected scientists and researchers. Of course, the one piece of evidence that has eluded everyone is the discovery of a dead cryptid body. Until that day arrives, speculation continues over whether or not there's a huge, hairy creature walking through the woods right outside your home.