Reported real Mothman sightings keep alive theories that this mysterious cryptid is either a harbinger of doom or some kind of omen that warns against a future catastrophe. One of the things that makes Mothman so fascinating is that the creature seems to be unhindered by regional boundaries since it continues to been seen by witnesses all across the globe.
Mothman Sightings Before Disasters
In many cases, Mothman has been reported as appearing before a disaster, leading some to believe Mothman comes as a harbinger of doom.
1966-1967, Point Pleasant: Mothman First Appears Before Silver Bridge Collapse
The creature was first seen on November 15, 1966 by Roger and Linda Scarberry, their cousin Lonnie Button, and Steve and Mary Mallette. One night, the group was driving past the West Virginia Ordnance Works, located about seven miles north of Point Pleasant, when they noticed two red lights near the factory gate. They stopped the car to investigate and discovered that the lights were actually the glowing eyes of a "large animal, shaped like a man, but bigger, maybe six and a half or seven feet tall, with big wings folded against its back," according Linda Scarberry in an eyewitness account detailed at Mothman Museum. The creature chased the group at speeds of over 100 miles per hour toward Route 62.
The following night, the creature was seen by Mrs. Marcella Bennett and then again on November 24 by four more people. On November 25, the Mothman was seen standing in a field when it suddenly spread its wings and flew away. On January 11, 1967, the Mothman was seen hovering around the Point Pleasant Bridge, also called the Silver Bridge. On and off throughout that year, more reports were filed about sightings of the creature around the bridge. Finally, on December 15, 1967, the bridge collapsed and killed 46 people.
1986, Chernobyl: Mothman Sighted Before Nuclear Disaster
In 1986, people in Chernobyl started reporting sightings of what they called the Black Bird of Chernobyl. Several reported seeing a large headless man with red eyes and black wings. These sightings continued until the night before the meltdown of the Chernobyl nuclear plant.
2001, New York City: Mothman Sighting Before the Twin Towers Came Down
On September 11, 2001 in New York City, a large, winged creature was reportedly seen flying from the World Trade Center Towers on the day of the infamous terrorist attack.
2007, Minneapolis: Mothman Appears Before Saint Anthony Falls Bridge Collapses
In 2007, an eight-lane steel bridge on I-35W collapsed during evening rush hour. Thirteen people were killed and nearly 150 injured. After the collapse, George Noory received multiple calls on his radio program Coast to Coast AM from people reporting Mothman sightings.
2009, Chihuahua, Mexico: Mothman Sighted Before Swine Flu Pandemic
In 2009, a Swine Flu (H1N1) pandemic started in rural Mexico near Chihuahua and spread throughout the world with more than 14,000 deaths confirmed worldwide. Investigators traced the pandemic's origins to the month of April, just a month after more than 30 sightings of Mothman in and around Chihuahua.
More Real Mothman Sightings From 2001-2018
Ever since the tragic Silver Bridge collapse, Mothman sightings have been reported all over the world. More recent Mothman sightings include:
- 2001: The creature was also reported in Sedalia, Missouri, in Camden, Maine and in Mawnan, Cornwall, England.
- 2002: The creature was reported in San Diego, California.
- 2003: Mothman was reportedly seen in Orizaba, Veracruz, Mexico.
- 2004: It was reported in Valles de la Salle, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; Standing Rock Indian Reservation, Ziebach County, South Dakota; Newport, Tennessee and in Martinez, California.
- 2005: A large, man-shaped bird creature was reported in Cache, Comanche County, Oklahoma; Washington County, Pennsylvania and in San Marcos, California.
- 2006: There were a large number of Mothman sightings in Mexico, Canada, England, Poland, Argentina, Brazil, Russia and all across the United States.
- 2011 through 2018: Mothman was spotted in Chicago and near Lake Michigan multiple times (nearly 70 at latest count) by numerous witnesses. These came in the wake of earlier sightings in 2011, 2014, and 2016 in the region, as well.
- 2016: In 2016, reports surfaced that a man in Point Pleasant had captured video of Mothman. Images have surfaced, but the reports remain unconfirmed, according to Snopes.